April 19, 2019 (Lincolnton, NC) ─ Residents at Heath House have plenty of reasons to count their blessings during National Volunteer Appreciation Month in April. From local parishes and entertainers to bingo and beauty queens, the DePaul Senior Living Community in Lincolnton has many dedicated volunteers, some of whom have been coming to the senior living community for over 20 years!
Volunteers come to share music, faith and comradery. Some even come wearing tiaras and sashes! Young pageant queens Lacy, 9, and Kylee Andrews, 10, recently began visiting Heath House where they’ve called bingo, passed out treats and prizes and posed for photos with residents. Heath House resident Arvin Gabbard is pictured above with Kylee, and on the right is resident Anna Ward with Kylee and Lacy.
“Seeing two younger girls wanting to come and spend time with seniors is a very rare and unusual thing,” said Heath House resident Jeanette Kelly.
Lacy and Kylee’s mother Carmen Andrew said the experience is helping the girls build confidence, public speaking skills and allowing them to see how helping others doesn’t cost anything but a little bit of time.
“We can’t always give back with money and it’s hard to ask people for donations for everything, but I think most people can find one hour of their day, once a month or once a quarter,” said Carmen Andrew. “The happiness it brings is such a satisfying feeling.”
Activities Director Hayley Johnson said many of the regular volunteers have built relationships with seniors.
“It’s like getting a visit from an old friend or family member,” she said.
Resident Arvin Gabbard said he enjoys all the individuals and groups who dedicate their time to sharing their talents at Heath House.
“Whenever they come to visit, I get something out of it and everyone else here does as well,” he said.
Not every volunteer comes in wearing a tiara….
- Calvary Baptist Church parishioners have been visiting Heath House on Mondays for over 20 years to sing hymns and do devotions for residents.
- A member of the Boger City Baptist Church, Bob Wright has been coming every Tuesday to play the Sunday service for residents for over 20 years.
- Tom and Kathy Ivey have come to sing and share devotions with residents every Friday for the past three years.
- Spirit of Life Church of God Pastor Daniel Perry and his wife Tabitha provide devotions to residents on Sundays mornings for over three years.
- The Parker Family Singers sing hymns and say prayers with residents every second Tuesday of the month.
- Kyle Brigmon has been singing a variety of songs for residents on his visit every second Tuesday of the month for the past two years.
- Coral Park Baptist Church has been sharing the gift of song with residents on the second Friday of the month for the past ten years.
- Bob and Susan Britt have been singing a variety of gospel and bluegrass songs for residents every third Tuesday of the month for two years.
- Charles and Barbara Hollar have visit on the second and fourth Sunday of the month to sing with residents.
- John and Vickie Chapman recently began coming to preach, sing and share devotions with residents once a month.
Heath House would like to sincerely thank each and every community member who has taken time to volunteer their time with our residents! For more information about Heath House, please contact Administrator Terry Black at (704) 732-1113, at email@example.com or visit us on Facebook.