By: Justine Smith, New Media/Web Content Coordinator
DePaul’s National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence- Rochester Area (NCADD-RA) is helping promote National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week® (NDAFW). Held January 22-28, 2018, the week “is a national health observance linking teens to science-based facts to SHATTER THE MYTHS® about drugs!”
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) launched NDAFW in 2010 “to stimulate educational events in communities so teens can learn what science has taught us about drug use and addiction.” NIDA offers numerous resources to help SHATTER THE MYTHS® about drugs, including videos and a National Drug & Alcohol IQ Challenge.
NCADD-RA promotes several awareness campaigns specifically related to youth, including:
- Underage Drinking (learn more)
- Underage Gambling (learn more)
- Prescription Drug Abuse (learn more)
- Parents Who Host Lose the Most (learn more)
DePaul’s NCADD-RA provides community presentations on a wide variety of substance abuse-related topics upon request. We customize presentations to fit the need, interest and available timeframe of your school/university faculty, PTA/PTSA or other school groups including classroom presentations, outreach and clinical staff, youth and adult faith groups, or workplace organizations.
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Signs, Symptoms and Current Trends of Substance Abuse
- Prescription/Over the Counter Drugs of Misuse/Abuse
- “Medical” Marijuana, Synthetic Drugs of Abuse
- Underage and Binge Drinking
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Impact of Addiction on the Family
- Problem Gambling: Impact on Families and Communities
For further information or to schedule a customized presentation with NCADD-RA staff, please contact Shelly Budinski, NCADD-RA’s Community Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 719-3489 or NCADD-RA Director Jennifer Faringer at email@example.com or at (585) 719-3480.